Wednesday, February 07, 2007

How Do I Love Thee?

February,

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Y Red. When I think of a month I envision it in color. Every month is a different color and I think this is a result of the calendars my teacher put up in elementary school and it has had a permanent effect on me, apparently. So February is red. Red is my favorite color. I love the decorations of red and pink- it just makes me happy.

Y Valentines. I have mentioned in a previous post of an scandalous incident involving an innocent second grader, a manipulating, fasting talking fifth grader, and two unbalanced piles of valentine cards. But there is no need to rehash the past. I love the idea of making, giving, and receiving valentine cards. Genius.

Y Valentine Boxes. Even more exciting than giving valentines is making VALENTINE BOXES. Of course I haven't made one since elementary school, before they were banned and everyone had to make the generic heart envelope thingy. But, oh boy, am I excited to help Claire make her valentine boxes in the coming years. I actually have real good memories of Monica helping me make my piano valentine's box years ago (probably to make up for the fiasco aforementioned).

Y Groundhogs Day. It's just fun that we have a holiday centered on a rodent(?). But more important, I love the movie Groundhogs Day. 'Nuf said.

Y Birthdays. Well there is just a list of birthdays that make February fun. First off, my moms. She also shares her birthday with Ronald Reagan. Then there is Shannon Clark (turned 3 this year), Chrissy Higginson (I still think of her every Feb 8, but I haven't a clue where she is or what she is doing), George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, and of course, Justine Bateman.

Y Flowers. This is the most likely time of the year that I can count on receiving flowers from my husband. I have a great husband who surprises me here and there with flowers, but February holds a slight lead in the odds race for there to be a vase of fresh flower on my dining room table.

Y It ushers in the lion. It's the last real month of winter which gives me hope that spring is around the corner and we can start looking forward to the lamb.

Y Love. Sometimes its hard to tell those who mean so much to us that we love them. But February makes a celebration of it. This is a holiday that celebrates the best things about being a human being- love.

4 comments:

tharker said...

This was such a fun post Brooke. Once again, you've amazed us all, getting your creative juices flowing. The new blogger really is a lot better. But you're right, they shouldn't have forced you to change. Even if you were one of the last 3 people yet to make the switch.

Monica said...

Hey, I thought the Valentines Con of 1988 was dead and buried, but I guess it is still alive and kicking. Unfortunately, I think Samantha has inherited those same skills from me.

I also love February. It means that spring is on its way. It has finally been nice outside, so we went out today and it was soooo refreshing. It was just a taste of spring, but it tasted really good.

My favorite Valentine treat from Al is a chocolate/carmel covered apple from Xocolate. It is so good. I hope I get another one this year. They are truly the best chocolate/carmel apples ever.

Carrie said...

I'm so with you on the Valentine's boxes. I can't wait to make those! I think when the kids are a little older we're going to make V-Day mail boxes at home regardless of whether or not they need them for school.

Johnsons said...

My girls got to make their own boxes this year for their school Valentine's Day party. I was excited because I loved doing that when I was little.